RSS Feed

REVEAL: MY STORY

0

Saturday, July 12, 2014 by

It's been two years ago when I was joining the Reveal Game by L'Oreal and also participating Be Revealed Event for the Top 16 players. Read my article about it here. Frankly, this is the biggest achievement I can get as university student. As you can see in my curiculum vitae at achievement section, being top 16 national finalist from playing Reveal Game by L'Oreal is the proudest one, the biggest one because it's national competition. Actually, I have a long story about my participation here. A story about hard struggle.

I knew this competition when there was L'Oreal people (HR team) that introduced this game for industrial engineering student because this game is about new product development process that cover in our subject: Industrial Engineering Design. This game was like the simulation of L'Oreal Brandstorm, the mini series one. We played it like playing The Sims, acting as the brand manager of L'Oreal and communicate with other L'Oreal people to develop a new product/ brand together. The L'Oreal people came to our university when we were in final exam test.

I started to play this game in my internship time on Central Bank of Indonesia (BI), while I had a break for 3 months after final exam before the new term. The headquarter office in BI has a good internet access so I played this game if I feel jobless haha. For the first, I played this game as a trial so that I can understand how the games run. I really want to be the Top 20 players and experience B-Revealed Event because untill the 3rd grade in university, I have no achievement for national competition. Yap, even for playing as a trial, I need totally 6 hours to complete the game because we will also get many question, quick interview, and psychotest. I played it in one day because I also have another job to do. Some of the question will give right answer in the end we complete the test, so I have an advantadge to play the first game as a trial. Finally, I finished it with score 6055 and got A- in the top 30 about in 26th place. Yeah, for just playing as a trial, without any consideration of the decision that I chose, it was a good beginning. I think that for the second playing, I can get at least in Top 20 and then participate in B-Revealed Event in L'Oreal Indonesia's HQ.

Before playing for the 2nd, I read some journal about NPD Process (New Product Development) in several days before playing again so that I can understand how run the process better especially in theory. It's almost 10 international journal that I read. I must registered with my other email and different username for playing the next one but I gave the same data like the first login. I played for the second in about three days and it was in the last week of the game to be closed. For the second playing, I really look every detail of the game process such the question, quick interview, and psychotest in hope that I can reach Top 20. I WANT IT SO BAD! After struggling hard, finally my score is higher than before. It’s 6562 points with B+ but I got in 29th place. My rank is down because there was many participant after I’ve played the trial for the first. It seems like too far away or me to be the Top 20 national players

I was so sad and tired. It was about 4 days left until the competition was closed. Should I play it again for the third? Ya, because I want it so bad, I planned to play for the third because there’s no rule that we just can play this game for once, and finally make a permition to my internship mentor, Mr. Panca, to have one day break in my internship because some reason (actually for playing REVEAL Game in a day). I think that, it would be the last chance I can tried, because I must aware that maybe I’m not qualified enough to be the Top 20 national players. After hard struggle, finally I can reach 7099 point with score A+ in 18th place for my REVEAL Game. The funny thing beside this experience is when I met the committee Mr. William Gunawan that actually knew if I played this game three times haha. I registered this game three times with different email and username, but I give the same data about myself. And, actually there just Top 16 that invited to B-Revealed Event in L'Oreal Indonesia HQ. As you know that the L'Oreal Indonesia officers are also playing this game and some of them being Top 20 players. Officially, my 1st and 2nd are in the Top 16 too haha. But I actually really happy for what I've done. It's not just learn me about NPD Process but also about struggling hard.

Frankly, in my internship program, I learn more about NPD process from L'Oreal than about quality improvement that I officially did in BI haha. As you know, in the next term of Industrial Engineering Design subject, I felt perform really well for this subject especially for the class project. And, I also feel confident when I participated L'Oreal Brandstorm 2013 although my team actually didn't pass for the semifinal stage. As you know, the theme for my final project to complete my study in university and got Bachelor of Engineering is about formulating the best NPD Process for Indonesia's SME (Small Medium Enterprises). Ya, although I feel it was really hard to get this experience, I can get more than I expect.  Nothing worths having comes easy, Dude! The NPD Process in company is covered in Brand Management Division, I hope if I worked in a comnpany, I can be hired in this position.

And finally, I just really thanked to God for giving me an awareness that nothing worths having comes easy. You must read my last posting here that give me more strength for what I’ve been through. God is just learn me that there’s no an instant way to achieve our dream. If we can reach our dream in instant, it would not stay longer or maybe you just have a good luck. I know myself as someone that is always trying to do something, finally I can learn in the process what I’ve done, not just focus on the result/ goal. Mr. Theodore Roosevelt is just envied to me haha.


Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.